For media interviews and inquiries please contact me at [email protected] or call me at 203-446-3622.
On July 28th 2018 I was quoted in the Financial Times by Brooke Masters in an editorial piece, “Do companies really need a ‘head of integrity’?” here.
On July 23rd 2018 I was quoted in the Financial Times by Patrick McGee in an article, “VW v Siemens: Why the carmaker is stumbling after its scandal,” here.
I am a Contributing Editor to The FCPA Blog via www.fcpablog.com All my contributions are tagged with a search “Richard Bistrong.”
- On August 28th, 2018, I posted, “Can We Teach ‘Normal’ Employee Not to Cheat,” here.
- On August 7th, 2018, I posted “Embrace the Best Compliance Resource of All,” here.
- On June 26th, 2018, I wrote a post, “For Compliance, Questions Have More Power Than Demands,” here.
- On May 10th, 2018, I authored a guest post, “Why Every Compliance Progam Needs Some Storytelling,” here.
- On February 21st, 2018, I wrote a guest post, “Who’s Gaming Your Compliance Program?” here.
- On January 23rd, 2018, I wrote a guest article, “My Friend the Agent Blackmailed Me,” here.
- On January 3rd 2018, I wrote a blog piece titled, “Would I Hurt Others to Help Myself,” here.
- On December 4th, 2017, I wrote an article about the impact that author Dorie Clark had on my current work and role, here.
- On November 17th, 2017, I wrote a blog about how the FCPA helps to define our role as global corporate citizens, here.
- On October 3rd, 2017, I published a blog on why it’s no surprise that accounting fraud and bribery offenses often occur together, here.
- On September 18th, 2017, I posted a blog about having ‘flow’ once again in my professional life, here.
- On September 5th, 2017, I posted a blog relating to the Africa Sting case, where I was the cooperating witness and confidential human source, here.
- On July 25th 2017, I posted a blog, “Good Performance Can Hide Destructive Behavior, link here.
- On July 12th, 2017, I published a blog post on “How We Should Share our Core Ideas,” link here.
- On June 13th, 2017, I published a reflection on my sentencing day in Federal Court titled, “I wanted to go home, the Judge wanted me in jail,” link here.
- On May 18th, 2017 I published a post “Seven Years Later Richard Bistrong is Wheels Up,” link here.
- On April 3rd, 2017, I published a post “When Business Leaders Become Compliance Leaders” link here.
- On March 1st, 2017, I published (with co-author Marc Hodak), a post on “How Perverse Incentives Distort Individual and Corporate Performance,” link here.
- On February 13th, 2017, I published a post on “Revisiting EpiPen: Steep incentive thresholds are corporate disasters waiting to happen,” link here.
- On February 6th, 2017, I published a post, here, on “The Best Compliance Officers Make Themselves Vulnerable.”
- On January 10th, 2017, I published a post co-authored by Marc Hodak, “Wells-Fargo: How reasonable pay plans morphed into perverse incentives,” link here.
- On January 6th, 2017, I published a post “Sometimes the Best Books About Compliance Aren’t About Compliance,” link here.
I Contribute on a regular basis to the following sites:
- JD Supra has named me, in 2018, 2017 and 2018 as in their top ten most visible author on JD Supra from among almost 2,000 authors publishing on compliance matters on JD Supra. my JD Supra profile can be found here.
- Corporate Compliance Insights, as an expert contributing author, with posts which can be found here.
- Ethic Intelligence: Experts-Corner, main page here.
- The Bribery Act, main page here.
- Via the SCCE, I engaged in an interview with host Kortney Nordrum, on “Understood vs. Defensible Compliance,” which can be heard here.
Past Media and Articles include the following:
- In the February 2018 issue of Compliance Week, I stared a series, “My Compliance Library.” The first edition reviews two books, Giving Voice to Values by Mary Gentile, and Blind Spots, by Max Bazerman and Ann Tenbrunsel. The on-line edition can be found here.
- On May 3rd, 2016 Roy Snell. CEO, The Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics (SCCE), published a blog piece, “We Are All Victims…Except Richard Bistrong,” link here.
- On March 30th, 2016, in an investigative report on the Huffington Post, Senior Enterprise Editor Nick Baumann, quoted me in his article “There’s a Huge New Corporate Scandal: Here’s Why Everyone Should Care, link here.
- On February 9th, 2016 Wall Street Journal, Risk and Compliance Reporter Stephen Dockery published a three-part series on ‘A Culture of Compliance’ where my perspective was shared in part III, Experts Weigh in How It’s Changed, link here.
- In the May/June 2015 issue of the SCCE Ethikos Magazine, I published an article “Does Compliance Need More Darkside” (link here). In the same edition, Bryan Cave LLC partner Scott Killingsworth published a reflective piece titled “The Irrational Calculator: Sales at The Crossroads,” (link here). Scott’s article then prompted a final SCCE blog piece which I wrote called, “I Was an Irrational Calculator.” (link here). I recommend a read of all three in order of appearance.
- On February 10th, 2015 I published a guest blog on the Global Anti-Corruption Blog, moderated by Harvard Law Professor Matthew Stephenson (link here), titled “Why Debarment Is Different–A Reply to Professor Stephenson.” On June 11th, I posted a guest blog titled “The Role of Compensation Systems in Promoting Anti-Bribery (Non) Compliance.” (link here).
- On February 9th, 2015, The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace published (here) the second part of my interview with Sarah Chayes (author, Thieves of State), “The Odorless Gas of Corruption.”
- In January 2015, I published a White Paper which was commissioned by The Network Inc, Integrated GRC Solutions, titled “Behind the Bribe, What Compliance Officers Can Learn From A First Hand Account Of The Dark Side Of International Business.” The paper is available by download via a link here.
- On November 4, 2014 I was interviewed by Alison Taylor Senior Managing Director, Control Risks, in Forbes, on “A Frontline View of Anti-Corruption.”
- Forbes Contributor Walt Pavlo, who reports on a number of White Collar enforcement issues, interviewed me in an article, “The Life of a Cooperating Witness, Rewards and Perils,” which was published on September 28th, 2012.
- Chris Matthews, Reporter, Wall Street Journal, has reported on a number of FCPA cases (including my own) since 2009. Here is his article “How a Former Executive Went Undercover for Prosecutors,” published on March 24, 2014, where he discusses the use of “investigatory tactics” in past and future white collar criminal investigations.
- Gregory J. Millman, reporter for the Wall Street Journal, Risk & Compliance Journal, in the article, “Fraudsters in Demand as Speakers Amid White-Collar Crackdown”, July 2, 2104 discusses the value of those who have been convicted to groups which are responsible for preventing and detecting fraud.
- Corruption Currents, Risk and Compliance Journal, regularly references my blog and guest posts as on the Wall Street Journal @WSJRisk.
- Here is a mention (January 20th, 2016) to my video interview with Richard Fenning, CEO, Control Risks.
- Here is a reference (February 1st, 2016) to my second blog post on “What Does Good Compliance Look Like?”
- Here is a mention (February 10th, 2016) of part III of “What Does Good Compliance Look Like?”
- Here is a reference (March 8th, 2016) to my Front-Line video interview with Julian Fenwick, GRC Solutions, where he addresses the value of Adaptive Compliance Training.
- Here is an article by Wall Street Journal Risk and Compliance Contributor, Ben DiPietro, where he references my experience and perspective, in a piece titled Does Your Company Have a Toxic Sales Culture?
- Andrew Leigh, invited me to guest post on his blog Making Sense of Ethical Leadership.
- Incentives Can Distort Sales Honesty: I call attention to the potential distortion of the compliance message when it is not aligned with individual and corporate financial incentives.
- Performance Management for An Ethical Culture: Here I review a White Paper by the Institute for Business Ethics on issues such as performance management, compensation, incentives and business ethics.
- Ethical Boardroom.
- Here is my December 10th, 2015 article, co-written with Day Pitney Partner Robert “Bob” Appleton, “Reflections on the Yates Memo. “
- Here is my editorial from June 12th, 2014 “A Solid Business Strategy as the Foundation of Anti-Bribery Compliance.”
- Here is my article, co-published with Alison Taylor, Senior Managing Director, Control Risks, on “Reconciling Sales Strategy with FCPA Compliance.”
- Here is my article “Beyond the FCPA” as in the Spring 2015 Issue.
- The Bribery Act (www.thebriberyact.com):
- Here is my article (October 21, 2014) on “small bribery.” As Barry states in his introduction, “Today we are posting a guest article by Richard Bistrong about the importance of cracking down on small bribes or facilitation payments. They are, in our view, the thin end of the wedge.
- Here is my interview with Law Partner, Barry Vitou (November 4, 2014). As Barry states in his introduction, “Find out about bribery from the front line from someone who has been there, seen it, done it and got the jumpsuit.”
- Ethic Intelligence. Experts Corner Contributor
- Here is my Q and A on on “What Happens When Business Strategy Becomes A Red-Flag for Bribery.”
- Here is my Q and A on “Third Parties and Red Flags.”