In this fifteen minute interview, Kristy Grant-Hart (Managing Director, Spark Compliance Consulting) answers a number of questions pertaining to her recent book How to Be a Wildly Effective Compliance Officer. Kristy talks about her journey from a career in TV to compliance executive, where, as the Chief Compliance officer for United International Pictures, she traveled to over forty-three countries, which formed the basis of much of her perspective which she shares in her book. In this Q & A, Kristy addresses:
- How compliance is there to help people succeed in their work.
- How to get compliance personnel on “team business” and those on the front-lines on “team compliance.”
- How to understand the difference between “named power” and “covert power,” and how covert power sources can help compliance to get the message to the field.
- How to engage field personnel to embrace that being on “team compliance” is cool!
- How to look at “desk artifacts” and to hear “what’s happening at the water cooler” as the basis for understanding people and to become a trusted source of support.
- How to use the power of vulnerability.
As Kristy summarizes, the ultimate goal for a compliance officer is to be more than a “friendly policeman,” but to get those at the business level to understand that compliance is “in this with you.”