On Wednesday October 18th at 8:15 AM., I am pleased to give the keynote address at the CBI Life Sciences Compliance Congress West. My keynote panel, A Journey to the Dark Side of International Business and Steps to Protect Your Organization will address:
- Is your compliance program calibrated to the real-world behavioral risk, which front-line personnel face in their work?
- Does a risk based compliance program miss real-world risk?
- How can business leaders be inspired to become compliance champions?
The full event site can be found here.
From the Appzen Program:
What actually happens on the front lines of international business trips?
From the Panama papers corruption to FIFA bribery, the headlines are full of stories of allegations and investigations of bribery and mega scandals. Rarely do we get a chance to hear the story from the individual that gave the bribe.
Richard Bistrong spent over a decade as an International Sales Vice-President, bribed foreign officials, covertly cooperated with international law enforcement, and went to prison. Richard now works with compliance leadership to assist and support those in the field who might face similar challenges, and helps calibrate compliance programs and practices to the real-world challenges teams face.
The demand for compliance is rising with a renewed focus on preventive solutions. When compliance and fraud detection become top priorities in your organization, what actions will you take? What are the key strategies for managing fraud and FCPA risk while reducing the burden of compliance?
Join this Appzen webinar to hear a compelling story of actual fraud schemes, how it all went wrong, and hear best practices to prevent such situations from happening in your company.
This webinar is targeted to professionals in roles that include: CFOs, Head of Fraud & Compliance, Audit, Controllers, and T&E Managers. The registration link can be found here.
On November 3rd 2017, at the SCCE Dallas Regional Compliance and Ethics Conference, I will have a ‘fireside chat’ with S. Joy Dowdle, Partner, Litigation Department Paul Hastings LLP on ‘A Journey to the Dark Side of International Business – Leveraging Front Line Experience to Protect Your Organization and Embed Compliance and Ethics.’ In our discusssion, we will address issues to:
- Ensuring your Compliance function understands the risks and pressures faced by the front-line business teams
- Recognizing the uid nature of corruption risk (and the pitfalls of overreliance on risk assessments and compliance audits)
- Vesting in deeds (v. words) – practical mechanisms for ensuring your business is bought into compliance efforts and inspiring them to be ambassadors for compliance and ethics
- Calibrating your compliance efforts to ‘what actually happens’ in the eld – especially in local cultures traditionally presenting compliance risks
I hope you will join us and the full event site can be found here.
From the Program:
From white-collar crime to industry thought leader: Lessons from a journey to rebuild reputation.
In 2009, Richard Bistrong, an international sales executive in the defense industry, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to pay bribes, illegally exporting goods without authorization and falsifying books and records. After a 14-month prison sentence and a five-year stint as an FBI informant, Bistrong was released and ready to rebuild his reputation—but how could he do it? Bistrong, now an FCPA, ethics and anti-bribery consultant, joins Deirdre Breakenridge, chief executive of Pure Performance Communications, to share his reputation’s remarkable transformation. PR pros will learn how to pivot clients and executives from difficult past actions to bright futures in a world of hypertransparency.
In this session, you’ll learn:
- How to develop messages and talking points for hostile reporters and unfriendly audiences
- Social media tactics to create meaningful content that can rebuild reputations.
- How educating others about making ethical decisions can make you a respected industry professional.
- The art of developing and deploying compelling narratives with examples and sound bites.
- How to widen executives’ perspectives and help them become leaders who can offer new voices and angles to popular fields and trends that are already full of resources.
The full event site can be found here:
On November 13th and 14th, 2017, I am looking forward to attending, and presenting, at Compliance Week Europe, the premier European conference for compliance, risk and ethics officers. On November 13th I will moderate a keynote panel, “How to Engage Business Leadership on Compliance Challenges,” with Cynthia Cetani, Head, Compliance Operations Excellence, Corporate Integrity & Compliance, Novartis International AG and Lucille Dolor, Head of Business Ethics and Governance, Spectris plc. The full event site can be found here.